Just thought I'd post interesting bits and bobs that come through the workshop. Today we isotropic super-finished (ISF/REM) a front diff crown wheel and pinion from an Evo VI TME as well as a VR4 transfer gear set, and an S15 countershaft after our 'C clip Mod". They came up pretty nicely:

IMG_3944_zps44fcb002.jpg

IMG_3945_zpsb9198df9.jpg

• Like 3

Evo 6-speed dog box (PPG). Lovely quality. We ISF/REM treated the gears, hence the extra shine. Sorry for the crappy phone photo.

IMG_3948_zps812a22de.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work Sam, didn't even know you guys existed.

Might have to have a chat to you sometime soon as I am due for an upgrade.

Sam, your name is constantly popping up around me now and I've heard some good things, so whoever is doing your promo is doing a great job! How long have Neat been around for?

Hey Jon, thanks mate! I'm a one man band at the moment, with a little help (and lots of moral support) from my missus. I wear 50 hats a day, including "promo guy", haha. We just hit 2 years of operation, and we're finally starting to gain traction - excuse the pun. Funnily enough around 70% of our work is from interstate, I've had a hard time cracking into the Adelaide market, but we're getting there now.

Any access to evo x transfer case crown wheel and pinions?

Brendon

Funnily enough I am in conversations at the moment with a supplier for Evo X transfer gears. Would you be interested? Trying to gauge demand at the moment, as I've had a few inquiries lately.

Ive just destroyed my 3rd transfer case in a tarmac rally car. No launching.

Theory seems to be that the case itself is not strong enough and it flexes from the torque. That throws the backlash out and in turn wears the gears.

So short answer is yes i am very interested.

Im happy to donate a fingered case for research purposes.

Brendon

Hey Brendon,

I would definitely like to take you up on getting one of your damaged transfers into the workshop to match up everything we'd need, and see if we can get them to hold together for you. We'll look at case strengthening options etc.

Our address is:

Neat Gearboxes

15 Manfull St

Melrose Park

SA 5039

Once you get around to it, send one out to us and we'll get the ball rolling. I'd be happy to cover freight.

Cheers.

• Like 1

5th gear spline chatter on an Evo VII 5 speed. Cause TBC. Ruined 5th gear pair and input shaft. Worst I've seen in an Evo - about 0.5mm movement on the splines. Funnily enough I didn't even pick it until the gears were hot tanked to get all the snot off the splines.

IMG_4250_zpsb552e033.jpg

• Like 2

What's the gear like Sam? Ie, is the gear harder than the shaft? Or is both the gear and shaft no longer useable?

Also, what do you think was the cause of this? Solid center clutch? Engine without balance shafts? Something totally not vibration related? hehe

Yes the customer is running solid centre clutch, balance shaft delete, light flywheel, stroker etc. He says he really regrets doing the balance shaft delete. The gear splines are every bit as bad as the shaft. This means we will replace the input shaft along with a 5th gear pair. having had so much chatter I recommended changing the countershaft 5th too, so that the new gears don't develop a similar issue due to uneven wear.

This is in for a shot peen and ISF/REM - I will focus on these splines and hopefully come up with something more durable as it is uneconomical for him to reinstall standard balance shafts. The customer is looking at installing the standard flywheel which I think is a good idea.

Ford Courier/Mazda Bravo are prone to a similar issue with 5th. It is well known that towing in 5th is the cause. Perhaps the customer drives around in 5th at too low RPM? I wouldn't recommend 5th under say 2,500 RPM especially with this kind of setup.

• Like 2

Hey Sam,

Would that do any damage to a completely stock drive train?

^Mmm....I tend to cruise around the speed limit (60km/h) in 5th as well....definitely under 2500rpm.

Good question. Not sure to be honest but I wouldn't do it at 60km/h. We used to see Unimog gearboxes from the military a fair bit at my old place of work. They would sit in 4th at 60km/h (about 1200 rpm) and the spines would be rattled to pieces due to the big old diesel rattling away in front of them. They actually put into place a specific policy for the drivers that around town they had to drive in 3rd, because each rebuild would cost about $20k. They had enormous flywheels, a harmonic balancer that weighed 30kg or so, and still the gearbox was stuffed from lugging it at low RPM.

• Like 1

In that case, from now on, I hereby vow to keep revs above 2500 rpm :)

• Like 1

That's interesting to hear! I have a 6 speed but tend to cruise around at low RPM where-ever I can (due to titanium exhaust noise). But I'll definitely be trying to keep the RPM above 2500 now!

We don't do much apart from gears but ISF/REM is applicable to a wide range of ferrous components. Here's a set of Evo III valve springs we processed yesterday. The technology improves fatigue resistance, reducing likelihood of spring fatigue, valve bounce and flutter at high RPM.

$55 for processing a full set.

photo_zps0304c610.jpg

Mmmm... fresh metal has arrived.

Evo VI drag dog box, billet forks, billet torque tube, Kaaz front and centre diffs.

All built to Neat specs, ISF / REM micro-polished.

Baller.

IMG_4390_zpsee3d58b5.jpg

• Like 1

No but very keen to. I really want to see the guts of an SST. I've done a couple of other direct-shift boxes. Just don't seem to get the inquiries from X owners?

Good to see the factory specs in the background Sam! ;) (Well, it looks like the factory WSM, so just go with it lol :wink: ) :thumbsup:

No but very keen to. I really want to see the guts of an SST. I've done a couple of other direct-shift boxes. Just don't seem to get the inquiries from X owners?

when mine fails(sooner or later), will ship it down for you.

It'll happen one day.

Been busy the past few weeks.

Evo X 5-speed:

IMG_5403_zpsci21h6vh.jpg

Evo VIII MR 6-speed with busted selector springs (before and after):

IMG_5502_zpsy1z3gyln.jpg

IMG_5410_zpsnstut5kj.jpg

Evo IX gravel rally PPG 5-speed dog box (inspect/clean):
IMG_5456_zpsq2zkcp5a.jpg

• Like 5