Mark@GTPumps

>>> EVO9 stock frame upgrade Turbochargers <<<

Yep 3rd gear. Thanks Mark

Still waiting for graphs. Have only cleaned up AFR's so far, no timing or changes to setting in EVC so we may be able to salvage some response.

Mid and top end is strong, just feels a tad doughy down low... May have to get others to drive for some opinions

Id post up my graph if this site would let me again :(

I ran outta fuel pump though so unfortunately its not "all in" as im only on 23psi

What pump Mick? I'm also outta fuel, 416 Walbro on stock wiring. Very lean >6K, IDC @ 110 :s

Might need a pump rewire too Tim

What pump Mick? I'm also outta fuel, 416 Walbro on stock wiring. Very lean >6K, IDC @ 110 :s

Stock wiring no good will have less voltage at the pump than with stock pump!

• Like 2

Haha yeah you read my mind Mark! :)

Im running a DW320 in my car Tim. Benny caught my AFR's creeping into the 12's so he left it at 23psi. Car made 307kw up till she started leaning out a bit just over 6K from memory. Gunna throw a 416 in my car and finish it off soon :)

Flow rates for anyone interested. Hopefully Mark can add 762 & 822 to the list?

Stock 9.............. 44 lb./min.

BBK Lite .............. 47 lb./min.

FP Green (Gen 1)... 47 lb./min.

Tomei ARMS ......... 48 lb./min.

BBK Full................ 51 lb./min.

HKS 7460 ................ 51 lb./min.

GT Pumps 712 ............54 lb./min.

FP 73HTA Green.... 54 lb./min.

FP HTA 3076......... 57 lb./min.

BB-X....................... 57 lb./min

BBK-B.................. 57 lb./min.

FP Red ................. 60 lb./min.

GT35R .................. 65 lb./min.

FP 82HTA Black...... 68 lb./min.

GT37R.................... 75 lb./min

FP 3582 HTA............. 75 lb./min

FP 3586 HTA............. >75 lb./min

Yeah ~4k for peak boost is normal Tim.

Pull 200 off that for Mivec.

I did another 712 on a Mak today. 305wkw at 27psi through a Hi-Power silent exhaust which wasn't helping things.
Graph to come shortly.

• Like 2

Flow rates for anyone interested. Hopefully Mark can add 762 & 822 to the list?

Stock 9.............. 44 lb./min.

BBK Lite .............. 47 lb./min.

FP Green (Gen 1)... 47 lb./min.

Tomei ARMS ......... 48 lb./min.

BBK Full................ 51 lb./min.

HKS 7460 ................ 51 lb./min.

GT Pumps 712 ............54 lb./min.

FP 73HTA Green.... 54 lb./min.

FP HTA 3076......... 57 lb./min.

BB-X....................... 57 lb./min

BBK-B.................. 57 lb./min.

FP Red ................. 60 lb./min.

Gt Pumps 762GTP...62 lb./min

GT35R .................. 65 lb./min.

FP 82HTA Black...... 68 lb./min.

Gt Pumps 822GTP...70 lb./min

GT37R.................... 75 lb./min

FP 3582 HTA............. 75 lb./min

FP 3586 HTA............. >75 lb./min

http://www.gtpumps.com.au/evoturbos49.html

:thumbsup:

Edited by EVO85
  • Like 1

Sorry Andrew. The flow is 1810ET flow 47lb/min.

Also I would like to draw everybodies attention to the fact that these are the flow rates of the compressor wheels only. It does not tell you anything about the rotating assembly inertia, turbine housing size or turbine wheel size/flow.

So treat the table as a guide not as a complete comparison between turbochargers.

• Like 1

That 712 seems quite responsive. Any tricks to that? Manifold / speed density help spool?

The performance is also very repeatable between turbos as we CNC the housings in our Sydney factory so the blade clearance is exactly the same on everyone we build. Wheel design and the inertia of the rotating assembly all contribute to making it quite responsive.

That 712 seems quite responsive. Any tricks to that? Manifold / speed density help spool?

If you're comparing it to graphs of 712's on other models the main difference is MIVEC in the Evo 9's. As Benny says above, MIVEC alone helps by ~200rpm compared to the earlier Evo's.

Only other thing that I've seen significantly alter spool is a split dump like the X3E one and a high flow cat. Everything else is just incremental (ignoring cam adjustments but that's a different story.

Benny is the guru though, hopefully he can let you know if anything else helps much.

Header size is also what plays a big part in response/power made down low.. Larger diameter runners hurt down low but breathe better up top. :)

What experience are you after Roger? There's a bit of feedback in the thread already

Non Mivec 2.0L will see 24-26psi @ ~4K (Mivec will claw back 200-300rpm). Most cars seem to make 300aw+ E85

Benny has a lot of cars running this package (712 & E85), lots of results on his Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=351882751574778

Thanks Gerryeddie! So a split dump will provide better response with a 712 than my standard 3" invidia? Trying to decide if is worth the $$$. What about a mafless intake? Would that improve response on a 712 all else equal?

bit of a side track sorry but a split dump wont help with transient response, as the split section is only used when the wastegate is open, i.e at target boost.

until that point, the split pipe of the "split dump" remains closed. i dont think removing the MAF would change response times either.

response times is usually increased through tuning, cams, more displacement, better matched turbocharger compressor/exhaust side, and more ignition timing

Road Track Rally built a 2.2L 712, checkout their Facebook page

I say it would be a torque monster but may struggle a bit up top. Just my opinion but a 762 would be the one to go for on a 2.3 stroker

I had a BBK Full on a 2.3, guess the 712 would be the same. Kicked in very quick and very hard, made 300kw's but topped off a bit after 6k rpm

We have a few customer with 712's on strokers however I don't have any specific results I can supply apart from the response is awesome and they top out around 320wkW.

Like Tim said check out the RTR results.

Edited by Mark@GTPumps

2.3 + (larger but I believe similar flowing) Hta73 + 260's here. Responsive but way too small for a stroker IMO. All over at 5,800rpm. Makes 240 at 23psi on pump on a low reader so might just crack 300 winding it up on e85 on a friendly dyno. A 762 might be more suitable but it may still be all over just after 6000rpm?

Edit: I should add that that's with a stock (relocated) evo 6.5 air box, dump and IC (with Ralliart pipes). Might do a little better otherwise but not drastically.

Edited by ForceFeeder
  • Like 1

for what it is worth the 792 is night and day difference compared to the 762 on mine

I'm thinking about 712 for my 2.3 as I want to keep the response.. Stock 9 turbo on it ATM and its good for sprint stuff.

for what it is worth the 792 is night and day difference compared to the 762 on mine

Hey Jason, Could you go into a little more detail regarding the differences between the two turbos?

2.3 + (larger but I believe similar flowing) Hta73 + 260's here. Responsive but way too small for a stroker IMO. All over at 5,800rpm. Makes 240 at 23psi on pump on a low reader so might just crack 300 winding it up on e85 on a friendly dyno. A 762 might be more suitable but it may still be all over just after 6000rpm?

Edit: I should add that that's with a stock (relocated) evo 6.5 air box, dump and IC (with Ralliart pipes). Might do a little better otherwise but not drastically.

I run the 762 on my TME 2.3. Don't know why you would think it's over just after 6000 RPM? No comparison between the 73HTA and the 762 on a 2.3 the 762 is a much bigger turbo. 762 is good for 350wkW.

Hey Jason, Could you go into a little more detail regarding the differences between the two turbos?

Thai the 792 is only available to selected existing customers at this time it is not released for general sale. It has a different compressor wheel to the 762.

762 on mine made 363kw @ 26psi and 392kw @32, the 792 (sorry Mark I wasn't aware it was not properly released yet) holds power much better up top (>7000) on my combo

So im planning to get a 712,

Have all the other bolt ons

-3" Dump/Front/TBE/Decat

-HKS intake (im guessing its 3"? but going 4" maybe with SD later)

-Stock Block (8MR)

-270 Cams

-1350 FIC injectors

-Walbro 460

Would i be required to get aftermarket manifold to achieve a healthy 300kw on E85?

I was actually considering getting 762, but was told i would be laggy and not going to get engine built anytime soon.

You won't need a aftermarket manifold to actually make 300wkW however response it greatly improved with a tubular manifold.

Hi mark i just purchased a evo 6 with a 2.3 litre stroker engine running a hks 30/37r on 27 psi it makes 390awk on e85.

Now i feel its too laggy full boost is very late in rev range

What turbo would recommend that would spool earlier. Id prob want least 350 on e85 and 98 least make 300 ?

Edited by Albz