Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_Denmeade

BRAKES ** NEW ELIG SB511 TRACK PADS **

Mark handed me a set of these to test last week at Wakefield. I had the Hawk DTC 70 compounds in the car at the time, and we only had time to change the fronts (we have since done the rears), we changed the rotors to a nely machined set at the same time. These are a very heavy metallic compound so they can take a beating, so much in fact it took 4 sessions to bed them in and loosen the gel material up to start compacting the pad material.

What I did feel up to then was excellant friction feel, the pad pressure was equalling the retardation of speed so feed back was right up there with the high performance Rally pads.

The pedal was always up to the top of the reach and felt strong at all times. I would have no problem using these in any event, they had a good friction feel where I could run right up to the ABS responsding and hold it there. no doubt even more so now the rears are in.

Like a good motorsport pad they are aggressive and will require a solid bedding in day. Id be inclined to put them in at the track for the last couple of sessions and use that to bed them in, then give them a good all-four corner manual bleed once they cool down overnight.

A nice aggressive motorpsort pad, they left me full of confidence when it came to attacking the corners, and at Wakefield it left me braking after the 100 m mark on the back straight, but again, the secret will be the bedding in process.

You wont be dissapointed. It might be a bit too aggressive for everyday street use, but superb for track day or rally.

Edited by Mark@GTPumps

ELIG SB511 TRACK PADS

Carbon based compound rated to 880C.

ELIG_RS709_brembo.jpg

EVO 5-9 Brembo (also fits Subaru STi)

SB511 front set $282.00

SB511 rear set $210.00

Edited by Mark@GTPumps

How noisy is this on the road?

share us the secret of bedding please !

mark whats the price ;) if its a good one im tempted to give this a go :D

Can this be the only noise free track pad ? Have EBC yellows installed for 50kms.... they are very very very noisy....apparently annoys the hell outta pedestarians at night...

How noisy is this on the road?

share us the secret of bedding please !

mark whats the price ;) if its a good one im tempted to give this a go :D

I will have pricing soon.

This compound does not require super hot temperatures to bed in. They can be bedded in during a track session by starting with light braking then gradually increase braking to full braking over say 4 laps then let then cool off with a full cool down lap.

Can this be the only noise free track pad ? Have EBC yellows installed for 50kms.... they are very very very noisy....apparently annoys the hell outta pedestarians at night...

Jeff,

these are a brand new compound I have not tested them on the road much. With our RS709 compound some people had noise some poeple did not it also depends a lot on the disc rotor surface.

Jeff drives his car a lot on the road I will check with him and let you know.

Bummer I need them tomorrow for Muralan trackday with SSCC.

I am at work right now I have one set available :)

Gave these pads a go last weekend. They bite well and last well too. We did full day Friday practice, 2 x qualifiing sessions, 2 x sprint races and completed 40mins of a one hour enduro and still have 50% front pad left. Great value.

Cheers

Paul

Well thats good news for me because im sick of running out of

pads after just one supersprint day about 15 to 18 laps.Will do

a report after I use them in a few weeks.Fingers Xed

You wont be dissappointed with these pads at all Paul. Correctly heat cycle them, bed them in, cool them down, bleed all four corners and they'll be good.

I have to share a story, on the Pikes Peak event I had marked in the pace note on a long right hander that is flat to the boards for about 200 meters, looking out over blue sky the whole time off to the left, shifted to 4th waiting for the next pace note call and I had written it to be "braking at sign for hairpin right!", when I heard the note I looked way ahead and flat in 4th thinking "shit that was brave on the note", I kept my foot into it, and topped 170-odd + ks by the data, and waited till the sign and slammed the brakes and wound it down heal and toeing to first gear for the hair pin and these brakes bit hard and went with it.

Now when they put these signs up on this road they do so in the calculation that your doing probably 60-70kph (40mph) NOT at the top of 4th gear nearing redline. It only takes a few moments like that to let you know you have the right equipment, and having brakes and pads you can trust is the first secret to driving fast, because you dont care if your up on two wheels going 11/10th if you know your brakes are going to be there.

These brake pads were there each time.

Ran these pads at Targa High Country and they were a vast improvement over other more expensive pads I have tried in the past.

Very good product and great value for money.

WHats good for X for track about 90% track 10% street?

The SB511's drive fine on the street, maybe a little squeal from time to time pretty much like any track pad will do.

i have used a few sets and found the opposite, quite nice on rotors for me

In motorsports, and rallying, when mating components like pads and rotors you dont want one particular product to bear all the wear, I found the rotors were worn appropriatley as I would expect for a motorsport pad that has an good degree of metallic substance in them (better than ceramic that gets hot, stays hot, and warps rotors when sitting still after an event), the wear I saw was what I wouldve expected, so no surprises. We tend to use stock rotors because they are reliable and meet all the heavy requirments that Mits engineers have laid out for them, therefor pretty cheap to replace.

Recived my pads this morning.

Cant wait to put them in and get out on the track!!!

Thanks Mark

hi mark how do these compared with the elig RS709s? i currently have these in my car atm and i seem to hit the ABS alot b4 the corner mainly on t2 and just b4 t10 at wakefield. i want something that will keep me away from using the abs with a solid feel. also im noticing quite a bit of brake shudder as well at those specific corners. im using DBA 5000s 2 piece slotted rotors that have been recently machined and motul RBF600 brake fluid if that helps

Edited by Charlie87

hi mark how do these compared with the elig RS709s? i currently have these in my car atm and i seem to hit the ABS alot b4 the corner mainly on t2 and just b4 t10 at wakefield. i want something that will keep me away from using the abs with a solid feel. also im noticing quite a bit of brake shudder as well at those specific corners. im using DBA 5000s 2 piece slotted rotors that have been recently machined and motul RBF600 brake fluid if that helps

The RS709's are good but the SB511 has more bite. Have you removed the stone shields from the front, if not you must do this.

what are the stone shields? is it that black sheet metal looking thing that goes behind the rotor? what does removing it do?

what are the stone shields? is it that black sheet metal looking thing that goes behind the rotor? what does removing it do?

Lets a heap more air in to flow past the rotor.

oh ok thanks mark!! so will this reduce the shudder?

Give me a call when you get a chance, easier to discuss.

got these installed today mark :) cant wait to use them on the track, thanks once again!

Yes in stock. Great pads helped me get 2nd place at the EVO nationals in Highly Modified class :)

Brembo SB511 front set $282.00

Brembo SB511 rear set $210.00

This compound does not require super hot temperatures to bed in. They can be bedded in during a track session by starting with light braking then gradually increase braking to full braking over say 4 laps then let then cool off with a full cool down lap.

Hi Mark,

I grabbed a set of these pads from Steve Knight (after buying them from you) the other day and I have just fitted them. Under the lid of the box, it states "pads must be bedded in correctly 5 successively harder stops from 80km/h to 20km/h (do not stop) then allow to fully cool before track work"...

I would prefer to bed them in before hitting the track (on the road) and because it would appear that some people have a different approach when bedding these pads in, should I just stick to what is recommended on the box?

Cheers

The SB511's do not need a great deal of bedding in. You can bed them in fine on the road. If you have used rotors then a bit more bedding is required.

Thanks mate.

I just did what was recommended but braked harder with every application. Gotta say, first impressions are very good - these things have some serious bite and feel head and shoulders better than my old RS709's. Cannot wait to run them through their paces at Mallala tomorrow. :)

Edited by EVO85